Saturday, May 17, 2008

To Go or Not to Go-A


Ok, not a great title! But it was the only play on words that I could think of. And the answer is DEFINITELY go! That is to Goa, on the west coast of India and pretty much India's #1 beach resort. Though 'resort' to me implies truck loads of British people and cheesy bars lining the paths - this Goa is not. Goa (via Bombay for a night on the town!) was my first weekend away from Delhi and it was such a nice change of pace. I went with Pallavi from the office, Heba who I was living with for a wee while and 2 of Pallavi's friends and we had quite the relaxing weekend with a little adventure thrown in. It's low season now so it wasn't packed with tourists, or anyone really. Spent the weekend chilling out on various beaches, tasting the local food. I'm told the sea food is tip top, but as my motto in life is to 'eat nothing that comes from the sea', I cannot confirm nor deny this. But the rest of the food was goooood. Throw in a little bit of jet skiing and boozing and you have yourselves a good time!

So that was the relaxation....where's the adventure I hear you ask?! The adventure began when someone said 'Hey, let's rent scooters!'. Having never driven a scooter before (least of all not in India, where the road rules seem to be: 'there are no rules'), I was somewhat skeptical about this brilliant idea. We got lost numerous times, nearly hit at least 3-4 walls, had to push our scooters up a dirt hill to get out of the forest we found ourselves in and I managed to find myself in a ditch! Admittedly unscathed and unable to contain my hysterical fits of laughter, but still....I was in a ditch, desperately trying to hold the Scooter above my head so it didn't fall in top of me.

All in all, a great way to ease myself into India travel and a must-see for anyone planning some Indian adventures.

No comments: